Bromelain is an enzyme extract derived from the stems of pineapples, although it exists in all parts of the fresh plant and fruit. The extract has a history of folk medicine use among the natives of South and Central America and as a culinary ingredient, it may be used as a meat tenderizer.
Here are some of the health benefits of Bromelain:
- Osteoarthritis: Bromelain contains anti-inflammatory and pain-reducing properties. This can help reduce pain, tissue swelling, joint swelling, and joint stiffness related with osteoarthritis.
- Cardiovascular disease: Bromelain has been found to restrain the ability of blood platelets to clot, which can help treat heart disease, hypertension (high blood pressure), diseases of the blood vessels, and stroke.
- Asthma: On some tests, researchers observed that treatment with bromelain has anti-inflammatory effect that might be beneficial with asthma-related airway inflammation.
- Chronic sinusitis (chronic rhinosinusitis): Bromelain tablets may help minimize cough, nasal mucus swelling, congestion, and other symptoms associated with chronic sinusitis.
- Colitis: Bromelain can help lessen inflammation and cure mucosal ulcers.
- Burns: Bromelain shows that when applied to the skin, it may be useful in removing damaged tissue from wounds and from second- and third-degree burns. Severe burns require a doctor’s help.
- Cancer: Bromelain manifest in some research that it has anti-tumor properties, and may increase the effectiveness of chemotherapy drugs but more research is needed.
FGI supplies the Bromelain from Dole which come in fine powder form from Philippines origin. It is both food and pharma graded, with shelf life of one year.
Bromelain is mainly used in the following applications:
- Food and Beverage (meat processing, dairy processing and bakery): as meat tenderizer, enhancer of protein and fat content in milk in dairy processing, reducing production time and preventing dough re-shrinkage and heling dough relaxation in bakery industry.
- Pharmaceutical (dietary supplements): used as dietary supplement due to its health benefits such as reducing swelling and pain specially from people suffering from sinus and osteoarthritis, aids digestion and removes dead skin from burns.
- Cosmetics (beauty and cosmetics products): used as smoothening properties ingredients, ability to treat acne, dry skin and wrinkles. Also used as post-cosmetic surgery drug to avoid bruising and swelling.